Lower School Ski/Snowboard Club
Wachusett Mountain, Princeton, MA
For students in Grades 3-8
The first week of Ski Club will be Friday, January 10, 2020
A six-week Ski Enrichment Program begins Friday, January 10th as students, faculty and parents head to Mount Wachusett to ski or snowboard. Young and old alike enjoy the camaraderie and fun that unfolds on the slopes and bus trips to and from the mountain.All ski cancellations will be published in the box on the right. Decisions are usually made on Thursday afternoons.
Ski/snowboard program registration is done in two parts:
- Sign up directly at the Wachusett website (wachusett.com/schoolgroup) for the Academy of Notre Dame ski/snowboard program. You will need an access code, which will be sent home separately via email. Registration will be open until November 9, 2018.
- The bus fee of $150 must be paid online. Use the button below to register, sign permission slips, and submit bus payment by Friday, October 26, 2019.
Morning Drop-off at NDA
Skis/snowboards will be placed in the small gym in the morning. Boots may not come upstairs. The children should take the clothes that they have to change into up to their classrooms. Please make sure that everything is labeled (there has been confusion at Wachusett when skis are not labeled).
There will be older students assisting on Friday morning. If you need to get out of your car please pull up all the way to the Upper School side. Students may go in the Upper School side to put their skis in the small gym. There are signs for each grade in the small gym. Please make sure the equipment is placed under those signs (not in the middle of the floor).
Children may not call home for forgotten items. It is a good idea to attach the ski pass to their jacket. Ski pants, gloves and hats are sometimes forgotten. If your child has forgotten these items (especially pants), there is a possibility that they may not ski.
Lunch at NDA
Lunch will be at 11:30 for grades 3-8 on ski Fridays.
Changing to Ski Clothes
Children come to school in dress down day clothes. They will be allowed to change into ski clothes after lunch.
We will leave school at approximately 12:15 p.m. (front of the building). We board the buses at Wachusett at approximately 5:00 p.m. Any child who holds up the buses at the end of the day will not ski the following week. There are clocks at Mt. Wachusett, but a watch is advisable. Everyone should be ready to board at 5:00 p.m.
Pick up is 6:30 p.m. at the Academy. Please be there at that time to pick up your child. If you are not there on time, your child will lose privileges to ride the bus to and from Mt. Wachusett the following week. The children and the chaperones have had a long day so please be on time.
If we are going to be late, we usually have students call (with permission). Please do not call your children. They should not have their cell phones out. Cell phones will be taken away if used without permission and handed to parents when we return to the Academy.
We expect the children to pick up after themselves on the bus. It is up to the bus driver whether food can be eaten on the bus.
We expect appropriate and respectful behavior toward fellow classmates, the bus driver and the chaperones.
The buses drop off at the front of the building. They are not in any particular order as they return. Please do not park in the front of the school. We need this room for the buses to come in (also, you may be blocked in until the buses leave).
If something is left on the bus we usually bring it into the school where the children can retreive the item on Monday.
(Please email Bernadette Fossa with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Arriving at Wachusett
All third grade students and new skiers/snowboarders must take lessons.
If your child is renting equipment, please make sure they know their shoe size.
Drop-Off/Pick-Up at NDA
Parents are dropping-off children with skis/snowboards are asked to pull up to the far front of the building. Students should enter the building using the side door of the Upper School wing (across from the large gym) and proceed to the small gym. Leave your child's equipment by the sign labeled with his/her grade.
Please make sure all skis, bags, poles, etc. are labeled with your child's name.
Parents are asked not to park in front of the school so that buses returning from Wachusett can pull up and students can disembark. Pick-up is at 6:30 p.m. and parents are expected to be on time to meet the bus. Failure to pick up your child at 6:30 p.m. will result in your son or daughter not participating in the program the following week.
Picking up at Wachusett Mountain
Frequently Asked Questions:
What do I need to wear?
- Waterproof jacket and snowpants
- Waterproof gloves or mittens (no polar fleece or knitted gloves)
- Ski/snowboard socks, or knee socks (crew socks are too low!)
- Neck warmer (you really need it on cold days!)
- Helmet (recommended) or hat
- Label everything! Masking or duct tape works best
- Bring your Wachusett Ski pass with you every Friday
Do I need money?
Most children do bring money with them to buy a snack or a drink. $10.00 is probably enough for fries and a drink, or a snack. Unfortunately, the price of food is high, like any ski resort.
If you don’t want to send money, you can pack a small snack in their bag to eat on the bus ride home if permitted by bus driver.
If you bring your own equipment:
- Label everything! (If it is leased you can use masking tape)
- Please make sure the equipment is in working order, and the child fits in the boots and the boots fit in the skis/snowboard.
- With this many children we can’t bring them to have adjustments made at the ski shop.
- We highly recommend that the children use “Ski Watch” when they leave their skis. This is a free ski check service right outside the lodge. Skis have been stolen in the past.
- Please make sure that the children can recognize their own equipment (color, brand, size, where their name is on the equipment, etc.)
- If they don’t use Ski Watch it can be hard to find the equipment at the end of the day!
- We are not responsible for lost ski equipment, but will make every effort to try and find it.
- Call Mt. Wachusett if something has been left there.
If you have any questions, please contact: Bernadette Fossa or 978-649-7611, ext 336