Upper School Student Life Opportunities
As an Academy student, you will have the opportunity to join in all-school events, those limited to your class, and those geared toward your specific interests. You’ll enjoy dressing in crazy attire during Spirit Week, organizing a field trip or fashion show for your class, and participating in a wide assortment of student clubs. Check out the list below, and know that you can start a new club as well. We are excited to welcome your ideas and leadership at the Academy.
The entire school comes out bursting with crazy colors and designs during Spirit Week. In addition, there are special “no uniform” days when you can show your style while supporting missions run by the Sisters of Notre Dame, help raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness, help a family in need, bring in food, blanket and toy donations. The possibilities are many, where you can show school spirit and help those in need – with the Academy community, in nearby cities, or as far as Africa or Peru. Pep rally and fashion show events rank as student favorites.
You’ll enjoy countless opportunities to bond with your class. Perhaps you’ll go skiing or jump on trampolines at Sky Boston. You may have a bake sale, wear crazy socks or accessories, celebrate birthdays, dress in team attire, or organize a fashion show. Your class will meet monthly to plan events that help the class bond and reach out to others in the community, offering luncheons and surprises for other classes as well.
Enrichment programs are open to the public and are offered for a variety of age groups including adults. They run after school, on weekends and during vacations. Some programs geared toward Upper School students and adults are Couch to 5K, Driver's Education, Guitar, and a special session to prepare for the High School Entrance Exam. Click here to learn more about Enrichment Programs.
At the beginning of every year, a Student Club Fair is held for recruiting new members and/or participants. New clubs are always being formed to reflect the passion and/or interest of our current student body. Below is a partial list of current clubs:
- Bowling Club (Hosts afternoon bowling trips)
- Chorus (Meets once a week with opportunities for solo and choral singing, both accompanied and a cappella.)
- C.O.P.E. (Calm, Open, Peaceful, Empowerment club)
- Debate Club (Learn the logistics of true debate and put the skills to use on different topics and issues.)
- Destination Imagination (DI - Team members work together to develop a solution to one of seven open-ended challenges and present their solutions at tournaments.)
- DIVERSI5 (Committed to creating a safe non-judgmental space where conversations around topics and issues related to diversity that are hard to talk about can be discussed openly, honestly, and freely in order to promote understanding, connection, and raise much needed awareness around such topics.)
- Environmental Club (Learn ways to help the environment in our communities; conduct local cleanup; get involved with volunteer opportunities; lead recycle drives; educate peers and community members)
- Guitar Ensemble (Students practice a variety of pieces and prepare to perform as a group in school events and performances; prior experience is not required.)
- Hacky Sack Society (Relieve stress and have fun.)
- Kanjam Society (Work as a team, relieve stress, have fun with Frisbees.)
- Model United Nations (Compete with other schools on international policies.)
- NDA Book Club (Uses literature as a vehicle for the exploration of a variety of issues that are of relevance to the Academy’s student community.)
- NDANCE Team (Students choreograph and perform for various school events including pep rally, talent show, and the International Festival. Styles range from liturgical to lyrical to hip-hop.)
- Drama Guild (Perform in the annual musical and other theatrical opportunities.)
- Damies’ Digest (Become a reporter, photographer, and/or editor for our school newspaper.)
- The Muse (Contribute art, writing, &/or photography to the school’s art/literary magazine)
- Yearbook (Help design yearbooks that will bond classmates for years to come.)